Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Documenting everything

For the past week I have been writing a project document that will cover everything in this project. While part of the project will be implemented before my internship is done, there will still be work to do. Additionally, the Showcase will need maintenance and updating over time, so it's important that everything be clear and written down.

A year or two down the road, the question might come up--why was this implemented this way? So, I'm trying to answer all those questions. My document has a section on challenges where those types of decisions are addressed.

Some of those challenges:

  • Defining the scope of the project--the scope guides every other decision
  • The struggle over controlled vocabulary--both gaining consensus and why we chose what we did
  • How search is implemented
I think it's important, and my supervisor does as well, to document all of those decisions.

With the semester winding up, there isn't much time left. Hopefully there will be a prototype of the administrative interface, where staff will add, edit and delete projects, by the end of this week so I can do some usability testing. That portion will be fairly simple: each staff member will need to add, edit and delete a project.

The larger portion, the portal, likely won't be ready in time for me to test it, but part of my documentation includes a section on what and how to test the functionality and usability. Search is difficult, and the analyzers used to match strings are not easy to write. So, it's taking time to get that portion of the project to a point where we can really have staff try it. 

I'm very appreciative of what the developers in the group have been doing. I'm even more appreciative that they asked me what my timeline was. With the realization that development is taking longer than scheduled, they wanted to try to have something ready for me to be able to do some UX testing, so I can have that experience, before the semester ends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrapping up the project

I was able to start UX testing today on a prototype of the site. I'll hopefully wrap up UX testing tomorrow, write up my findings, and a...