Friday, January 27, 2017

Conducting interviews

Part of this week involved a trip to IUPUI to see the facilities there. The facilities on each campus differ, so it was useful and necessary to see that in person. Also, because team members have different specializations, the types of projects that tend to be highlighted on each campus can differ (although all 8 campuses have access to the AVL's knowledge and facilities).

Photo of AVL intern Tyler use the VIVE, a head-mounted display VR tool. The VIVE consists of a headset that covers the upper part of the face and two handheld controllers. A monitor shows what he sees in the VIVE. The application being demonstrated is a paint program. He is waving a controller to paint glowing lines that are seen in the VR environment and on the monitor.
Tyler demonstrating the VIVE, head-mounted display VR.
This week's big step was to start interviewing team members and collecting samples of the visualizations and media that will eventually go onto the website. So far, I have interviewed 4 team members. I have found that an informal style with some questions for guidance works for me. I like to have a conversation, eliciting the information I need that way.

Photo of AVL team member Jeff and part of the IQ-Wall at the lab at IUPUI. This IQ-Wall consists of 2 rows of 4 displays all working together as a single large display.
Jeff showing some of his work on the IQ-Wall in the AVL's IUPUI lab.
The types of information I am gathering in these interviews involve the team members' roles and specializations, what sorts of projects they work on, and specific examples of projects. The questions fulfill 3 purposes: 
  1. What are the user requirements for this portal? 
  2. Who are my subject matter experts? 
  3. What types of descriptors (search terms) will we need? 
So far, from the examples I have gathered, I have a list of over 100 descriptors ranging from type of media to technology tool to fields and disciplines--and I haven't looked at some of the areas the AVL works in. There is a lot that goes into building the search terms and metadata that will make this site work. I'm glad I took Representation and Organization, as that will help with building a vocabulary and creating facets.

Next week: more interviews, collecting more example work, and gathering more descriptors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrapping up the project

I was able to start UX testing today on a prototype of the site. I'll hopefully wrap up UX testing tomorrow, write up my findings, and a...