Saturday, March 25, 2017

Use cases and scenarios

The end of this week was pretty quiet. I was able to put my headphones on and listen to podcasts while I worked on writing use cases and scenarios. I was able to put together a half dozen or so use cases (all very similar, but that's how use cases will be for this particular project). From those, I created a use case diagram, although it might not be particularly useful.

Showcase Use Case Diagram
The use cases are actually more extensions of a basic use case of "search portal", but I wanted to extend it to more specific types of searches. Also, the actor is generally a user, but there are three basic types of users who might use the portal, so I extended those roles. It isn't the best diagram; I'll probably make changes to consider more of the input and maintenance side of things. But it's a start.

From this, I wrote up the use cases specifying some of the actions to do each of these searches. These correspond with the ten or so scenarios I have started writing, which look at specific types of the use cases. For example, I have written a scenario of an anthropology professor looking for previous projects that might be in similar disciplines to get an idea of how she could use the AVL's resources and expertise for her own research.

I only have drafts of a couple of the scenarios written, so I need to work more on those next week.

In terms of use cases, there is plenty more work I can do, as noted above, by expanding to use cases and scenarios for input and maintenance. I want to finish the end-user scenarios first, though, because it's easier to concentrate on one thing at a time. Also, I find that letting a problem simmer in the back of my mind for a few days tends to help clarify it.

As for take-aways this week, it really comes down to being in a self-directed phase to some extent right now. At the last meeting we came up with a list of tasks for me to work on during the development phase so I have some things to work on, but I get to decide which to do each day.

The AVL is a group used to being somewhat experimental. Granted, they want their experiments to succeed, but when you push the envelope, sometimes there are failures. The point of failures is to learn from them. In that regard, working with the AVL has allowed me to take some chances and try things multiple ways if need be. Having the freedom to try something, then just redo it if I'm not happy with it, is kind of nice. It isn't seen as a waste of time and resources; it's a learning process, which is actually perfect for an internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrapping up the project

I was able to start UX testing today on a prototype of the site. I'll hopefully wrap up UX testing tomorrow, write up my findings, and a...