Friday, March 10, 2017

Structure and schema

Over the past two days I have been working on the documentation of the structure and schema for the showcase portal. I needed to get it done by the end of the day today since I'll be off next week and the developers need that information.

Schema: 
I defined the facets for the schema, described their inputs, what they will do in the entry interface and in the portal interface. It took some time to write up the descriptions. I had to consider whether or not each element was required, because not all elements will apply to all projects, and how each element would be handled in searches.

Boolean AND and OR make a difference in the advanced search. After considering how the elements work together, I defined the Booleans values thus:

            Selecting multiple facets in an advanced search should search with a Boolean “AND”; results will be returned for projects meeting all search criteria.
            Selecting multiple terms in a single facet in advanced search should search with a Boolean “OR”; results will be returned for projects meeting any of the search criteria.
The logic behind this is that if someone wants to search for a virtual reality (category facet) project in medicine (discipline facet), they want projects that meet both criteria. If someone is searching for projects that are virtual reality or augmented reality (both in the category facet), they want projects that fit either criteria.

Structure:
I also diagrammed the structure of the portal and made wireframes for each of the four page types.

Diagram of the structure: Home page links to Search Results and Advanced Search, with Advanced Search also linking to Search Results. Search Results then links to Project Description pages. Those have links to external project pages.
Portal site structure

I had a rough draft of the home page that I was able to update based on the notes and decisions from Monday's meeting. I also wireframed the advanced search, search results and project description pages. I also took a sample project from that spreadsheet of examples and used the information to create a mockup project description page to show what an actual page might look like.

Now that some decisions have been made, I have felt very productive. Wireframes, sitemaps (the structure diagram), the detail of the schema--I was able to get a lot of work done in two days. I submitted the document to the developers this afternoon. Hopefully it contains the information they need to get started. And hopefully they will give me feedback after spring break if there was anything missing or if anything was unclear. 

The point of the internship is to learn and to gain experience. Most of the projects I have done to this point have been theoretical class exercises, so having feedback from actual developers on an actual project will be helpful for my future practice. Did I use correct terminology? Were the diagrams understandable? Did I provide the information they needed? Too much? Too little? Did I miss something? I look forward to hearing back from Dave and Patrick when I get back in to the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrapping up the project

I was able to start UX testing today on a prototype of the site. I'll hopefully wrap up UX testing tomorrow, write up my findings, and a...